Gorgeous, Historic Home in Downtown Benson!
This is an early notice of a once in a lifetime opportunity to purchase your own piece of history in lovely downtown Benson, NC! Benson is famous for its annual Mule Days festivities and their gorgeous historic homes like this one Team JP will be offering in mid-January! This historic home was built in 1912 for CT Johnston and his family; since that time it has been lovingly maintained and restored by only three other owners.
When built, the house had nine bedrooms, since then an additional bedroom and bath were added when the downstairs back porch was enclosed and incorporated as part of the house. The three original bathrooms have been beautifully updated while remaining true to the historic integrity of the home; two additional half baths were added in 2014 and three of the four full baths have claw foot tubs. The kitchen was updated in 2005 with cabinets handmade by a craftsman and the original tile remains in the kitchen and large butler's pantry. The master suite is on the first floor and includes a dressing room and one and a half baths of which the half bath is accessible from the back hall.
The original floors, walls, mantels, and lighting fixtures, for the most part, have remained intact and in place. The number of fine architectural details, such as the leaded glass windows, is something you see in very few homes. The floors are quarter sawn hardwood throughout the home and the floors in five rooms on the first floor (Grand Hall, Parlor, Lady's Parlor, Library and Dining Room) are embellished with hand laid parquetry. The wainscoting and denticulate molding in the Grand Hall is chestnut and the moldings in the dining room and lady's parlor are thought to be rosewood.
In addition to the approximate 7,500 sq. ft. within the home there are approximately another 2,000 sq. ft. in the attic and two lovely sun rooms as well as approximately 1,500 sq. ft. in the basement. The 14 foot ceilings in the attic made it the perfect gymnasium for the Johnston family who occasionally put it to use as a ballroom; the ceilings in the remainder of the house are 11 feet. Expansion into the attic or basement is possible since all surfaces are finished. All the rooms are gracious in size and beautifully appointed.
The 1,200 sq. ft. wrap around porch and grand entry are only overshadowed by the "Gone with the Wind" style staircase in the main hallway reminding you of days gone by and the elegance that came with it. The home is a perfect candidate for a Bed & Breakfast or similar type venue or even perhaps an afternoon gathering spot given the central location; easily within walking distance to cafes, shops, and the "Singing Grove" in Benson.
Do yourself a favor and call to schedule your private showing today. This home is available for purchase pre-auction so do not delay; interested buyers should contact the listing agent to schedule a showing as this home is occupied. This piece of history is sure to gather lots of traffic! We will be offering a portion of the contents in an online auction event and will also be offering some of the larger items in a live, onsite auction immediately following the real estate.
Keep checking this site for updates!
Utilities: Sewer & City Water
Zoning: (O-R) Office - Residential
1. BUYER'S PREMIUM: Real Estate: A 6% buyer’s premium will be added to the successful bidder's high bid and will be included in the total contract purchase price. Property will be sold subject to seller confirmation. Personal Property: A 13% “buyer’s premium” will be added to the successful bidder’s high bid and will be included in the total purchase price. A 3% discount will apply to all purchases made with cash or approved check.
2. CONDITIONS: The information contained on this website and all related auction materials are subject to the terms and conditions of the CONTRACT OF SALE. Buyer’s complete inspection of property is encouraged. Title X: Under Title X, the purchaser of a single family residence built prior to 1978 has a maximum of ten (10) days to conduct a risk assessment or inspection of the property for the presence of lead-based paint and/or lead-based paint hazards.
*3. BROKER PARTICIPATION WELCOME: Any broker actively licensed in North Carolina whose agent properly registers the successful high bidder, will be paid a 2% commission, based on gavel price, at settlement by the seller. Registration must be on a Johnson Properties Realtors & Auctioneers Inc. Broker Pre-Registration Agreement. The properly completed agreement must be received in the office of Johnson Properties Realtors & Auctioneers Inc. no less than 48 hours prior to the auction. Additionally, agent must attend sale and co-register with prospect on Auction day. Only the first agent to register the high bidder will be paid a commission. Agents acting as principals, on behalf of other licensed real estate agents or on behalf of family members, or who represent prospects who have had prior contact with the Seller or Auction Company are not eligible. Brokers may pre-register only one potential buyer.
4. DEPOSIT: A 10% Earnest money deposit is required on day of sale. Balance due on or before 45 days post auction.
5. LOAD OUT: All items must be paid for in full prior to removal. All items are the responsibility of the purchaser when pronounced sold and must be removed the day of the auction unless other arrangements are made PRIOR to the auction day. Items not removed following the auction shall be subject to forfeiture. Neither the seller nor Johnson Properties are responsible for damage or theft.
6. AUCTIONEER'S DISCLAIMER: All information contained herein is provided without representation or warranty as to the accuracy of the same. Buyers shall rely on their own judgment and inspection. Property to be sold AS IS, WHERE IS, with all faults if any. The Auction Firm and Sellers reserve the right to entertain any reasonable offers, which may be accepted, prior to the auction.
7. ATTENTION AUCTION BUYERS: We suggest that you arrive one hour prior to the auction in order to register and have any last minute questions answered. NCAL: #7340